Monday, March 13, 2017

Week 42: 4th transfer in Puerto

Fish Venders in Puerto
Puerto is cool! This is my 4th change here. Most missionaries are usually here anywhere from 6 to 9 months so who knows how much longer i'll be here.

Something Funny:  The electricity went out so I had to go pull up water out of our well using a bucket.  I took my flashlight out there but when I was bringing up the water my flashlight fell and went down the well. It made this bubbling song noise as it sank and the light just slowly faded out till it hit the bottom.  It felt like I was in a cartoon.  It made me laugh really hard, I don't know why. However, now I don't have a flashlight.

Airplane view of my area.
Something Spiritual: We had a family home evening with a family who had been really struggling these past couple months. It started with their house getting robbed; then they lost there jobs; but they always kept going to church. I shared D&C 98:1-3, one of my favorite scriptures. 

D & C 1-3 1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks; Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament—the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted. Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory, saith the Lord.
It says that we should give thanks in everything and at the end of things, that our afflictions will work together for our good. I also shared some of Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk "Come What May and Love It."  (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/come-what-may-and-love-it?lang=eng)   
It was super awesome and the Spirit was super strong. The next day, we got a call from them saying they had found work and would be able to pay for the things they needed so it was a pretty cool experience.  
Something Cool: We had to go to the church for a meeting and sometimes its hard to find a taxi in our area, so we waited forever and finally one came.  Before you get in a taxi here, you always ask how much because if you don't once they drop you off they will jack up the price and say some crazy amount. So, when we asked he said just get in we will get you there, which sounded a little fishy to us but we had to get to the meeting, so we just got in the taxi.  He ended up speaking English so we chatted with him as we drove.  When we got to our meeting and we tried to pay him he said, "Men of God ride free in this taxi"  so that was pretty cool. 
Anyways hope everyone has a good week! 

Elder Thackeray

No comments:

Post a Comment